This week we’re focused on our oceans, because the health of them impacts ALL OF US! Here are 5 actions you can take right now to make a difference on our planet:
- A trillion plastic bags are used worldwide every year. Always bring a reusable bag when you shop. Take the pledge that you’ll do this here.
- Nearly a million plastic beverage bottles are sold every minute. Go refillable! Carry your own reusable bottle and take the pledge you’re going to commit to this here.
- Americans toss millions of plastic straws every day. Skip the straw. In most cases, you don’t need a straw. Tell your server, “no straw, please” when you order a drink and pledge to say no to straws here.
- 9 million tons of plastic waste ends up in the ocean every year. End littering. Properly dispose of your own trash and pick up litter when you can and make record of your commitment to this here.
- Care about clean water? Consider supporting or getting involved with Waterkeeper’s Alliance which is the largest and fastest growing nonprofit solely focused on clean water.
BONUS actions this week:
We were pleasantly surprised to discover the latest issue of National Geographic will launch a multi-year initiative aimed at raising awareness of this challenge and reducing the amount of single-use plastic that enters in the world’s oceans. Definitely make sure you check out this issue and all the informative content “Planet or Plastics?“! Listen to one of our favorite podcasts that covers more about this topic! Learn about Seafood Watch and download their seafood guide here.