What’s Green About This Workplace?
“In February 2009, the Westin La Paloma “Green Team” was founded. In harmony with our commitment to the environment, a group of associates who are passionate about recycling, reducing, and reusing meet once a month to make our property Arizona’s Greenest Workplace. The Green Team has introduced the following green initiatives:
- Make a Green Choice Program — This program gives guests the choice to refuse housekeeping service in exchange for a $5 F&B voucher. This program lessens the impact of our guest’s stay on the environment by reducing the need for energy, water and chemicals.
- Clean the World Soap Recycling Program — Used soap, bottled shampoo, conditioner, and lotion left in guest rooms are recycled, sanitized, and distributed to people who need it the most around the world. Based on our average occupancy, we will recycle enough soap to supply 335 children per month with the necessary hygiene products. This will also save 3.1 tons of waste from going to the landfill each year.
- Green Report Card Program — The La Paloma provides a tracking tool for meeting planners and groups. This tool gives a “grade” of the planned event’s environmental impact by tracking the proposed energy & waste consumption.
- Recycling Program — Receptacles are placed in all guest rooms, public areas, and in the back of the house areas. Paper, metals, cardboard, plastic & beverage containers are recycled.
- Styrofoam — We have discontinued the use of Styrofoam on property. Associates are offered reusable coffee & water canteens while guest are provided with choices of glass, paper, or plastic.
- Office Equipment — Rather than disposing of old office equipment in a landfill, we donate it to World Care.
- Cell Phones — Rather than disposing of old cell phone equipment in a landfill, we donate older equipment to HopeLine, which supports victims of domestic violence.
- Toner Cartridges — Printer, copier, and fax cartridges are recycled through Action Imaging.
- Paper — Office paper is recycled either through shredding or re-used (as note pads).
- Chemicals — The La Paloma uses “Green Seal” certified cleaning materials throughout the property and we use laundry detergents that are biodegradable. We also purchase cleaning supplies in bulk and use refillable containers.
- Water — Auto flush toilets have been installed in public restrooms across the property and low flow faucets, toilets, and showerheads have been installed in each of our 487 guest rooms. Re-claimed water is used to water the golf course. Only native plants are used for landscaping and automatic sprinkler systems with moisture sensors are used so watering only occurs when needed.
- Landscaping Waste – Grass clippings from the property (including the golf course) are mulched instead of bagged.
- Energy — Over 90% of the light bulbs on property are energy efficient, compact fluorescent bulbs.
To promote the green message to internal employees we feature a green article in the monthly associate newsletter, which educates employees about green practices & tips. Every spring we celebrate Earth Day with a recycling competition (recycled robots pictured) and a recycle drive to collect used goods to donate to World Care.”