How do you transform your yard and garden into a thriving habitat for beautiful songbirds, colorful butterflies, buzzing bees and other local wildlife? How do you know what’s right for your area? How do you make it look natural? David Mizejewski is a passionate naturalist and author of Attracting Birds, Butterflies & Other Backyard Wildlife. He is sharing his knowledge for greening our world; how to create a beautiful natural garden or landscape that fits in the local environment and supports wildlife by providing the four components of habitat (food, water, cover and places to raise young).
SUPPORT THE CREATION OF PODCASTS LIKE THIS ONE: BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
- We are in a wildlife crisis on our planet. We have lost 60% of the animals on our planet in the last 50 years. In America, 1/3 of our wildlife are at increased risk of extinction in the coming decades.
- Human beings are the cause of our wildlife crisis – a million acres a year of natural space is being taken by humans for development and we are continuing to contribute to climate change.
- Back in the 1970s, the National Wildlife Federation started their Garden for Wildlife. What is a key initiative of this movement? It has to do with engaging human beings. David shares very important insights on this podcast – join us.
- David dedicated his book to his parents – shed a little tear with us and be reminded about your roots on this show.
- Food, water, cover and places to raise young – these are the four necessary components to create a wildlife garden.
- Plants are the foundation of wildlife habitat – and it is important to understand what is considered a native plant and the relationship between the native plants in a region and the wildlife.
- In America, over the last century, we have stripped away our native plants and replaced them with hardscapes and plants that are not native – our green infrastructure is not supporting our wildlife.
- No matter where you live, how much space you have and what your budget is – you can participate in creating a garden for wildlife. You have the power to turn the tide for our endangered species – it is wildlife conservation that we all can do!
- What are the pros and cons of wildlife feeders? Creating a food web and feeding wildlife naturally is very important – great information on this podcast to attract wildlife (especially birds) to your yard.
- In order to achieve the National Wildlife Federation certification for your garden, it must be maintained in a sustainable way. What does this mean? David gives you all the information you need on this show!
- Check out the National Wildlife Federation’s YouTube channel
- Purchase your copy of David’s book – Attracting Birds, Butterflies and Other Backyard Wildlife. Where to find it is linked for you right HERE!
- Listen to the podcast with Dr. Rupa Marya that Mrs. Green mentions during this show: Health and Justice: The Path of Liberation through Medicine
Music used in this podcast is copyrighted and licensed through Turtle Island Records/Libby Roderick Music