Impact Earth: Energy, Episode 1, David G. Hutchens is President and Chief Executive Officer of UNS Energy Corporation (“UNS Energy”), parent company of Tucson Electric Power (“TEP”) and Unisource Energy Services (“UES”). He also serves as Executive Vice President of Fortis Inc., overseeing Western Utility Operations including UNS, FortisBC and FortisAlberta.
Mr. Hutchens has been with UNS Energy for 20 years. He advanced through various management positions overseeing wholesale energy trading and marketing and, in January 2007, was named Vice President of Wholesale Energy and UNS Gas, an operating subsidiary of UES. He became Vice President of Energy Efficiency and Resource Planning in May 2009, rose to Executive Vice President in March 2011 and was named President in December 2011 before assuming his current role in May 2014.
He earned a Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Arizona and is a former nuclear submarine officer in the U.S. Navy.
Mr. Hutchens joined the Board of Directors of UNS Energy in December 2013, the FortisBC Board of Directors in January 2015, and the FortisAlberta Board of Directors in July 2016, as well as Edison Electric Institute. He is past Chair Western Energy Institute’s Board of Directors and is current Chair of Sun Corridor, Inc. He also is a member of the Southern Arizona Leadership Council, the Tucson Conquistadores, Salpointe Catholic Education Board of Directors.
He is a native of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
This episode made possible by the generous support of Tucson Electric Power
SUPPORT THE CREATION OF PODCASTS LIKE THIS ONE: BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
- At the end of the day, leaders need to be collaborative and work well with others – understanding how to get things done and engage others is essential to true leadership.
- Research has shown that people enjoy the work they do, not for the tasks but for the people they connect with while doing those tasks.
- How does leadership respond to community needs – going beyond what you are told to do (which is only managing, not leading)? Dave provides dynamic insights into how leaders respond to opportunities on this podcast.
- The goal is to have lower greenhouse gas emissions – Tucson Electric Power is looking to the future and providing leadership to accomplish this goal.
- Leaders create opportunities for healthy communication, feedback and growth for their internal and external customers – Dave shares his thoughts on delivering beyond customer service…join us to be inspired as a leader in your life!
- Visit TEP’s website and join them on social media: Facebook and Twitter
- Learn more by listening to the Mrs. Green’s TEP Podcast Series
- Read more about electric buses in Tucson, Arizona: Electrifying Sun Tran Buses
- Get the scoop on the new University of Arizona and Tucson Electric Power partnership: UA Initiaties 100% Clean Energy Project with Tucson Electric Power
- Listen to the podcast with Ray Martinez that Mrs. Green mentions during this show: The Future is Here: What We Need to Know About Electric Vehicles