See entire January 7, 2011 newsletter
You Are What You Drink – Seriously
As I have shared with you before, once I hit the send button on the newsletter, I start thinking about content for the next one. And it seems as though the perfect topic appears each and every time. Here we go…..
This is not about those pesky water bottles and how much I wish they would go away and the landfill issue they continue to be. It’s about what’s in them and the research is hot off the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) press.
– EWG surveyed 173 unique bottled water products
– 18 percent of bottled waters fail to list the source of the water
– 32 percent disclose nothing about the treatment or purity of the water
– Among the top TEN best selling brands, only one – NestlÃ©’s Pure Life Purified Water – discloses its water source and treatment method on the label and offers an 800-number, website or mailing address where consumers can request a water quality test report.
– EWG did not give an “A” to one single bottled water brand
Enough, already? Don’t you think we have a right to know what we are drinking? So guess what EWG recommends? FILTERED TAP WATER! Mrs. Green could not agree more and it is exactly what we do in our household. A quote from the article says it all: “When you shell out for bottled water, which costs up to 1,900 times more than tap water, you have a right to know what exactly is inside that pricey plastic bottle.”
I urge, encourage, might even be moved to beg and plead with you to care enough about your health to read the report (or at least scan it) to see how your brand ranks. My dream, my fantasy, or maybe my greatest hope? After you find out, you will be among the enlightened and converted who JUST SAY NO to plastic bottles. I can’t say your life may depend on it but I can say your good health might!