Live in Tucson? Like to bike? Walk? Meet Your Neighbors? Mark your calendars, save the date, plan to have some old-fashioned fun at Cyclovia 2.
When? April 28, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Where: See link below
Little bit of background on Cyclovia 1:
Cyclovia 1 was a fabulous day on the south side of Tucson. The weather was perfect, the streets were closed to motor vehicles, the smell of delicious food wafted through the air and it felt like a community. Make you sorry you missed it? Not a problem. Since it got rained out last year, the wise planners from Cyclovia planned two events in two different neighborhoods. I got to Cyclovia 1 early and stayed late. Here are Mrs. Green’s Top Ten Reasons why you should put this on your “must attend” list. But first – proof positive that Mrs. Green got her “biking” on.
1. It’s FUN and FREE
2. All the streets are closed to auto traffic
3. It’s a great opportunity to get outside & learn about your community.
4. There are GREAT community partners who participate. Pima Association of Governments is a sponsor and Habitat for Humanity’s Habistore is a must “go to” booth.
5. Water is available along the route from free water dispensers provided by Sparkletts. So be sure to bring a reusable water bottle or buy one at any of our five info booths.
6. You can bike OR you can walk, jog, skate, skateboard, and skip freely on the public roadways. You don’t have to have a bike to enjoy the car-free streets.
7. Free bike repair will be provided by five different local bike shops.
8. There will be LIVE music and DJs, bike decorating, jumping castle, bike rodeo, art projects, street games, and did I say plenty of food?
9. You will get to see a really neat neighborhood in Tucson that you really wouldn’t see from your car. It’s a new route through mid-town Tucson, connecting neighborhoods and businesses along Glenn, Blacklidge, and Dodge. One end is the Keeling neighborhood and the other end is Brandy Fenton Park, next to The Loop.
And Top 10 Reason #10? The outrageous number of adorable little kids. Think I am kidding?
Couple of more “good to know” tidbits: You can enter and end anywhere along the route, because there is no start or finish. You can stop at various activities along the route or have a leisurely lunch at one of the food vendors, because there is no race or schedule.
Want to know more because you clearly see why Cyclovia 2 promises to be another fun filled day? Maps and information for making the entire day car-free or car-light are available at www.cycloviatucson.org And if you STILL aren’t convinced why you should make this a must attend event, have a listen to this great podcast.
Green living is fun and sustainable – truly.