Ready to do some good for yourself and our planet? Our friends at mindbodygreen.com shared 11 tips to remove toxins from your life, written by William Cole, Functional Medicine Practitioner. Here are their top 5 actions you can take this week:
- Eat organic – one easy way to minimize toxins is to eat food that hasn’t been sprayed with pesticides and herbicides. If you can’t get an organic option, make sure to thoroughly wash your conventional produce.
- Clean green – conventional dish soaps, laundry detergents, fabric softeners and household cleaners contain harmful chemicals for your health. Look for products labeled nontoxic, and ones that use plant-based ingredients. The Environmental Working Group (EWG), one of the most respected nonprofit groups doing work on this topic, has a great guide to nontoxic cleaners.
- Get fresh air – instead of using toxic air fresheners and candles, essential oils are a great alternative, and have healing benefits as well! Perfumes and cologne may smell nice, but many contain toxic ingredients. Using essential oils instead is a great, healthy way to smell your best!
- Bring nature indoors – one way to clean the air you breathe is by having fresh household plants inside your house and work space.
- Be naturally beautiful – remember, your skin is your biggest organ. If you can’t eat what’s on your skin, don’t use it. Your skin absorbs all the toxins that are in conventional soaps, shampoos and makeup products. Instead of conventional store-bought lotions, try using almond, jojoba or coconut oils! There are also great nontoxic beauty options out there; here’s a fantastic guide from the EWG for nontoxic beauty products.
Kelly King is a woman taking small steps toward a healthier happier life and planet, all the while caring for her two children, husband, cat and Mrs. Green’s World.