“There is nothing magical about the flip of the calendar, but it represents a clean break, a new hope, and a blank canvas.” – Jason Soroski
Ready to do some good for yourself and our planet this new year? We start now.
5 steps toward change this year:
1. Try a reusable water bottle. A million plastic water bottles are purchased around the world EVERY MINUTE – and only 9% of plastic is recycled. Plastic pollution is something you can take action on today – make 2020 the year of no more plastic bottles in your life.
2. On that same “no plastic in 2020 theme” – stop sucking. Kick plastic straws out of your life for good. Mrs. Green always says – plastic straws are a gateway to consciousness. It is not about the straw – it is about becoming conscious to the unnecessary waste we generate in our daily life. There are so many reusable options on the market – iloveglassstraws.com are one of our favorites!
3. As the new year is seen as a new start, make a commitment to yourself to end what is toxic in your life. One of those things may be your home environment. What cleaning products do you use? What skin care products? Are they clean, chemical/toxin free and sustainable? What about the linens in your home? What about the bed you sleep on – have you considered a natural and eco-friendly mattress?
4. Cut out carbon. Drawing down carbon from our atmosphere is the key to reversing global warming. Can you increase the amount of walking, biking or your use of public transportation this year? How about setting up a carpool for work or children’s activities?
5. Set a goal to consume less in 2020 – as part of your budget practice this year, make a monthly goal of how many new items you will consume and don’t exceed that amount. Think secondhand items or participating in a borrowing program within your community.