Join us for an interesting discussion about opportunities and challenges in working toward a circular economy as well as exploring insights on how unique partners (a start-up and a global brand) with the same goal can work together. Thread and Timberland have some key learnings to share on how the two companies came together to form an innovative partnership that’s fueling a conversation in the marketplace. Thread CEO Ian Rosenberger tells how the company transforms trash from the poorest communities into the most responsible fabric on the planet, and how corporate partnerships, like Timberland, are taking this impact to scale. This show made possible due to the generous support of the Chapman Automotive Group.
- Timberland, a corporate powerhouse, and Thread, a B-certified corporation, have partnered together to create Timberland X Collection — “…incredible proof that style and sustainability can go hand-in-hand,” said Colleen Vien, director of Sustainability at Timberland.
- Timberland strives to be ‘Earthkeepers’ in everything they do and are dedicated to implementing their three pillars of sustainability – Product, Outdoors, and Communities, as much as possible. By partnering with Thread, they are able to further these values of creating responsible products, preserving the outdoors, and supporting local and global communities.
- Ian created Thread after he saw the impacts of poverty in Haiti and getting to know the locals, as he says; “Poverty is not about the absence of money, it’s about the absence of dignity. It starts with a job — a dignified opportunity to go to work”.
- Transparency is of utmost importance to Thread and they ensure their Ground to Good™ fabric is created in a way that goes beyond social responsibility by establishing relationships in communities that are most vulnerable.
- Listen to the full podcast to find out how water bottles in Haiti are transforming the fashion industry and communities at a local and global scale!
- Visit Timberland’s website
- Learn more about the work of Thread
- Check out Timberland on Facebook and Thread on Facebook
- Follow Thread on Instagram
- Partnerships like Thread and Timberland are critical for helping the fashion industry move towards environmentally sustainable and just practices. To contrast their work, check out how the fast fashion industry strengthens inequality and strains natural resources here .
- Plastic waste is a serious problem; learn more about it here including ways we can all reduce our plastic consumption.