We probably have all heard the expression “one man’s trash, another man’s treasure.” Well, now that is called upcycling and the Habitat for Humanity HabiStore team know a great deal about upcycling. They know that the key to upcycling is finding the beauty in an old, damaged piece of furniture and re-imagining what it could be. They also know that incorporating even ONE upcycled design into the home has a huge positive impact on the environment! Join me for a fun, informative interview to hear Habitat for Humanity’s Kristy Soracco share easy-to-do upcycle projects that help us re-envision old household items. Whether it’s transforming an old bookcase, headboard, or dresser, she will remind us not to be afraid to reupholster, redefine, or reinterpret. It’s not just the right thing to do, its fun and taps into one’s creativity. The ways to upcycle your home, condo or apartment are as limitless as the imagination! And I am sure Kristy will remind us where to take any item we’re removing or remodeling, right here in Tucson. This show made possible due to the generous support of Habitat for Humanity Tucson.
SUPPORT THE CREATION OF PODCASTS LIKE THIS ONE: BECOME A MEMBER TODAY!
- The HabiStore is Habitat for Humanity’s Tucson retail outlet for gently used furniture and home improvement supplies. It is also a treasure trove for upcyclers and recyclers alike that benefits the entire community.
- The HabiStore generates revenue to help build and repair homes for communities and collects resources for various local organizations
- HabiStore provides a spectrum of affordable building materials available to anyone who may be looking to remodel their kitchen or other home improvement projects
- Kristy partners with other local not for profit agencies and organizations who are helping communities and offers resources donated from the HabiStore
- Upcycling is greener than recycling because it doesn’t compromise the quality of the material, it can be fun and easy as putting a new coat of paint on an old item, or adopting previously loved items that can add a little character to your surroundings
- Upcycling saves money and allows you to explore your creativity
- Upcycling makes use of already made materials, instead of buying something where new materials had to be sourced. It helps reduce the amount of waste sent to the landfill, reduces your carbon footprint, and helps your wallet.
- Learn more about Habitat for Humanity Tucson by visiting their website and join them on Facebook and Twitter
- Get up to date information on the HabiStore by visiting their website and connecting with them on Facebook
- Learn more about the Brush with Kindness program and get involved today!
- Visit the Habistore (935 W Grant Rd in Tucson)
- Live in Tucson? Have items that you want to donate? Contact HabiStore today!
- Ask your friends, family, or neighbors if they may have anything they don’t need/want and see if you can put it to use in a creative way
- If you are remodeling or redesigning your home, check your local HabiStore or thrift store first to save money and help the environment. You never know what you will find.
- Try to find a signature piece or accent piece that fits your home. Don’t be afraid of a little DIY. There are so many tutorials online, Pinterest is a great resource!
- One item in – one item out. Don’t forget when you are rearranging, remodeling or redesigning your home to donate your old items back to the HabiStore or a local thrift store to keep the cycle of giving going.
- Volunteer at the HabiStore – you are needed!