The only way to end poverty is to get people out of it. The Apparent Project in Haiti has one powerful mission: prevent child relinquishment in Haitian families. Their focus is to make the needs of Haiti known and to offer opportunities for Haitians to be able to provide for themselves and their families, empowering them to rise up out of poverty. They want those families to be able to keep their families together and avoid relinquishing their children to orphanages – all with Marilyn Monaghan leading the charge. Join us for an impactful dialogue and discover the story of one organization…leading to a second production company…that is providing solutions to break the poverty cycle. This show made possible due to the generous support of The Fairfax Companies.
- Climate change, climate justice and social justice are all a part of the same conversation when it comes to addressing the myriad of issues we face to combat climate change. Research shows that communities and populations, already living in poverty, are and will continue to suffer some of the more severe impacts of climate change.
- The Apparent Project mission: prevent child relinquishment in Haitian families. Their focus is to “make the needs of Haiti known,” to offer opportunities for the Haitians be able to provide for themselves and their families, empowering them to rise up out of poverty… to be able to keep their families together… to avoid relinquishing their children to orphanages.
- The Apparent Project had its roots in a small family wanting to make a difference and has resulted in hundreds of families benefiting – hear how it all started when Marilyn tells the story on this show.
- The children in Haiti are poverty orphans – the parents do not have the funds to care for their children and turn them over to the orphanage for care.
- Learn how Papillon Enterprise (Papillon means butterfly) was birthed from The Apparent Project – the story only continues to be more magical as it unfolds.
- The beads used in the jewelry come from cereal boxes – can you guess the most consumed cereal in Haiti?
- What is a “sol”? In Haiti, a pot of money that a community gathers every month and each month one person gets to take the money. Allegory of the Long Spoons
- The only way to end poverty is to get people out of it. “A rising tide lifts all boats.” Listen to this podcast to find out one way people are getting out of poverty….and how you can truly help.
- Check out the Apparent Project website
- Like the Apparent Project Facebook page and follow them on Twitter
- Watch Poverty Inc.
- Visit the Papillon website
- Take action to educate the global community on the cycle of poverty and what we all need to do to end it.
- Host an Apparent Project Party in your home – learn more.
- Looking for a fundraiser for your organization or school? Learn how to partner with Apparent Project for your next fundraiser.