Shaffer Dry Cleaning & Laundry
At Shaffer’s we are committed to reducing our footprint on the environment in many ways:
- In 1998, long before the green movement became mainstream, we made the costly decision to eliminate use of PERC, the toxic, carcinogenic chemical that is harmful to both the earth and humans.
- Clothes are packaged in poly bags that disintegrate and decompose at an accelerated rate, helping to reduce the environmental impact.
- Retro-fitting each of our 11 stores to use modern energy efficient lighting, resulting in a 15% reduction in electrical costs.
- We reduce fuel consumption by using efficient Scion XBs and diesel Mercedes Sprinters for our home delivery vehicles. These vans average 23 mpg vs 13 mpg from conventional vans , resulting in significant fuel savings.
How does the company exemplify the concept of “reusing”?
This practice is best exemplified in 3 areas:
- Reuse and recycle hangers. In fact, we’ve even hired an individual whose sole job is to sort through piles of hangers that we encourage customers to bring back. We reuse hangers that are in good shape. Those that are not are taken to a metal processing center which reuses scrap metal for variety of uses such as rebar. We estimate last year we sent 2500 pounds of hangers to be reprocessed, plus reused about 5,000-7,000 pounds of hangers.
- We designed a system to reduce the amount of natural gas needed to run our production plant by reusing the thermal energy of the steam to heat up the water for laundry.
- We serve as collection points for clothing to be reused for Big Brothers Big Sisters programs and Angel Charity’s fundraising.
What is this company’s recycling policy and practice?
In addition to recycling hangers, poly bags and steam as described above, we also conscientiously recycle everyday products– paper, cardboard, plastic, aluminum and glass . This has significantly cut what is sent to the landfill. We have been able to reduce trash pick up to just once a week, which is remarkable for the size of our business operation.
How is this company engaging and informing consumers and employees about the 3 “Rs” and other sustainable practices?
We believe actions speak louder than words. We implement practices that exemplify the 3 “Rs” — reuse, reduce and recycle. We consistently promote our green goals to our employees as well as to community at large,. We continually remind customers to bring back their hangers and poly bags for us to reuse and recycle. Our marketing outreach, including Facebook, often features articles, reminders of the many ways our audience can implement green practices in daily and business lives.
As business owners, we also lead by example. We converted our personal home to solar energy as well as low-water irrigation system and other green practices.
What else would you like us to know about this company?
Shaffer Dry Cleaning & Laundry is proud to be a “green” pioneer in the industry. The initial investment we made over 10 years ago to switch to a green, healthier dry cleaning environment was initially very costly. We believe, however, that the health benefits for our employees, customers and the environment are well worth the investment.
Today we are the largest 100% green dry cleaner in Tucson. Our customers can be confident that when they entrust their garments to us for dry cleaning, they will be returned free of any potential, harmful residue from toxic chemicals. The bonus is our process is non-allergenic, odorless and leaves clothes feeling softer. The GreenEarth solvent we use degrades naturally and most important, it enables us to ensure a healthier workplace and finished product that is truly better for our customers.
We also offer a variety of services that cleans, preserves and sustains the longevity of accessories and household items. Shoe repair, reconditioning of handbags, leathers, household items such as draperies, comforters, down pillows – the better we help our customers care for these items, the more we are able to help reduce the impact of waste in our environment.
At Shaffer Dry Cleaning, we strive to be not only the greenest workplace, and the greenest provider of services for our clients, but also a committed steward of our resources.