In Your Wheelhouse!
Spring is in the air in Tucson, which means it’s time for Bike Fest and Cyclovia. Every year about this time, people get their bikes out of the shed, pump up the tires, oil the chains and join in all the fabulous bike activities that are scheduled in April. Most everything is free and many events are great for kids, too. Check out some of the fun things happening around town during Bike Fest:
- Every Friday night is Bike-In movie night. The Bike-In Movie Series is held outdoors at various neighborhood parks. The movies are free, but you’ll need to bring a blanket and your own popcorn.
- The 12th Annual Bicycle Scavenger Hunt by El Grupo is April 4. It starts at 9:00 am at El Grupo’s headquarters, 600 N. 9th
- Join the Eckstrom-Columbus Branch Library on April 11, 11:00 am as we celebrate the addition of two new Bookbikes to give us a fleet of three. The library is also hosting a book drive to help stock these new Bookbikes. Bring in your new (or gently used) children’s books and books in Spanish to any library branch from April 18-30.
- The best time ever is happening April 19, when thousands of people hit the south side on their bikes, skateboards, roller blades and feet to enjoy Cyclovia. It all starts at 10:00 am and runs to 3:00 pm. The route is a five-mile loop from downtown, so you can start anywhere on the route and not miss a thing.
- April 20 to April 24 is Bike to Work Week. Friday, April 24, is Bike to Work Day and Sun Rideshare’s Car Free Day. If you’re new to bike commuting, this is a great time to try it out. Be sure to visit one of the Bike to Work Food Stations that will be around the city that week from 7:00 to 9:00 am.
Along with all these fun activities you can win prizes for biking. Just register with Sun Rideshare, a program of Pima Association of Governments, and log in your bike trips, as well as any other alternative mode trips, to qualify for monthly prize drawings. Go to www.sunrideshare.org/rewards for all the details.
Bike Fest features numerous events, and local merchants are offering a variety of discounts during April, so visit www.bikefesttucson.com for all the details. Information for Cyclovia is at www.cycloviatucson.org.