Meet Leyda – She’s Changing the World

Do you ever feel as though you can’t save the world but you would like to make a difference in some way?  Meet my friend Leyda.

Leyda has been my friend for over 25 years. I went to the movies with her the other day and she shared a story with me. It was out of sheer excitement  on her part – trust me. Before I share the story, a  little bit about Leyda. She had a very successful career in HR, has two amazing children and one amazing grandson and is now retired. Through-out her life, Leyda served on boards, helped friends & family in need and became an expert, and I mean expert, seamstress & eventually started designing clothes.

Here’s the story. Leyda told me she had tons of fabric left over from years of sewing & lots of them were little pieces but big enough to make an outfit for a child.  She wanted to find a little girl to make back-to-school clothes for so she called her friend who runs a day care. She asked if there were any little girls there who might be in need of some help with getting a back to school wardrobe together. Lo and behold, her friend had just the little girl. She is being raised by her two elderly GREAT grandparents, with health problems & not much money.  Leyda was thrilled.

At this point, Leyda has met the little girl (adorable), taken her measurements and is working on her 6th outfit.  How could you not believe in Fairy Godmothers?  Talk about sustaining my soul. This one really touched my heart & I hope it not only touches yours but inspires you to take your own small steps. It changes the world.

Here are some cute photos of the finished products!

How cute it this?

Too cute.

Happy First Day of School

Made with Love & Caring

7 thoughts on “Meet Leyda – She’s Changing the World”

1. Leyda says:

I feel honored to have known Mrs.Green for such a long time.

Thank you for sharing the story. It feels my heart with joy to be able to help this family and maybe others in the future

Thank you also for being such an amazing person. Keep up with the good work for the benefit of planet earth.

Lots of Love,

Leyda

2. Mrs. Green says:

Imagine a world where we all do just one thing to shift the planet forward like you are doing. Because of people like you, I imagine that every day. And I talk about it on green talk radio!

3. Bonnie says:

This is the greatest story! I love it! Thank you, Leyda, for your generosity and inspiration. There must be thousands of other women out there with piles of fabric (I’m not one of them, sorry to say) who aren’t quilters. I hope they find your story!

1. Mrs. Green says:

Can you imagine if word like this spread? It really is about one person making a difference in the life of a child. Thanks for your comment Bonnie. I hope the word spreads too. Even quilters might want a break to make a little outfit or two!

4. Lynn says:

I love these outfits! Thanks Mrs Green for bringing Leyda to our attention! What a great lady!

5. Ruben says:

Dear Mrs. Green

Such inspiring stories of people like Leyda should be the headlines we need to see in our front pages.

I am honored to have met you when I visited Arizona last summer and doubly honored to have you as a true friend to my loving sister Leyda.

Con cariño from Ponce, Puerto Rico

Rubén

1. Mrs. Green says:

Ruben – I could NOT agree with you more about making the headlines. People need to see more acts of amazing human kindness like this. It honestly could change the world – because Leyda did change the world for that one little girl. I look forward to seeing you again when you return to Tucson. Or maybe Mrs. Green needs to go to Puerto Rico!

Comments are closed.