Sam Levitz Furniture
What’s Green About This Workplace?
“Approximately 18 months ago Sam Levitz Furniture relocated their primary Distribution Center to 2020 West Prince Rd. here in Tucson. At that point in time we set our sites on what we considered to be an aggressive recycle and energy conservation program encompassing 5 Retail store locations and two warehouses.
1) We purchased two bailers for the recycling of our corrugated cardboard, and began. To date we are on target to recycle this year (2010) between 650,000 to 700,000 lbs of corrugated cardboard, 2500 to 4000 lbs of office paper with an additional 1500 lbs of shredded documents and 2500 lbs of plastic.
2) In addition to this we also reuse all copier paper to copy both sides before it is sent to recycle.
3) Within our warehouse facility we do not purchase wrapping material, we re-use original vendor package material such as plastic bags, Styrofoam and boxes etc. Recycling the remainder that we cannot re-use within our
4) We recycle empty paper tower rolls for use as shipping tubes for our small bottled product.
5) We recycle all company aluminum soda cans.
6) We donate to charity approximately $ 20,000 of furniture annually thus reducing our effect on the landfill locally.
7) Last fall we had our delivery trucks equipped with GPS systems. This allowed us to govern the speed of vehicles in our fleet and limiting idle time to 5 minutes then shutting down vehicle. This has resulted in a savings of almost 10% of previous year’s fuel consumption. We are on track this year to reduce our fuel consumption by approximately 9000 gallons of fuel, thereby significantly reducing our carbon foot print.
8) Company wide we have 75 plus laser printers scattered among seven facilities. We currently recycle all our laser ink cartridges.
9) We currently are pursuing an energy rebate program that would allow us to change out our metal halite and sodium lighting in our main DC and replace them with energy efficient fluorescent lighting. Though no definite determination yet on this project coming to fruition it has the potential to reduce our utility usage by 490,000 Kwh annually and an annual
- (Carbon Dioxide) CO2 by 785,363 lbs,
- ( Sulfur Dioxide) SO2 by 5807 lbs
- (Sulfur Oxide) SOx by 3068 lbs
This is a summation of what we have done and are doing in our continuing effort to become a more Green friendly Business.”
- “They are currently on target to recycle between 650,000 to 700,000 lbs of corrugated cardboard, 2500 to 4000 lbs of office paper with an additional 1500 lbs of shredded documents and 2500 lbs of plastic for 2010.
- In addition to this they also reuse all copier paper to copy both sides before it is sent to recycle.
- Their delivery trucks are equipped with GPS systems. This allowed them to govern the speed of vehicles in their fleet and limiting idle time to 5 minutes then shutting down vehicle. This has resulted in a savings of almost 10% of previous year’s fuel consumption and reduced their fuel consumption by approximately 9000 gallons of fuel.”
“I have never seen so much recycling going on in one work location in all of Tucson. They go out of their way to reuse any and all shipping material and even borrowed ours when on site. This company has to be the number one company in Tucson when it comes to taking care of our environment.”